Composing Styled Text for RR Apps

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Thu May 22 00:43:01 EDT 2003

OK, so I get this. RR has three types of "styled" text field
properties: styledText, RTFText, and HTMLText. They are not quite
compatible or equivalent to one another.

I am creating a stack which is content-rich and which demands
attractive-looking formatted text as a key element of its design. While
neither RTFText nor HTMLText supports anything resembling a robust
subset of their "real world" counterparts, it appears I must choose one
or the other of them for my work.

The question is: what is the best way to compose and prepare text for
display in RR using either RTF or HTML formatting? Since the RTF subset
that RR supports is relatively small and seems not to be properly
implemented yet in the current 2.0 beta at least, using something like
OpenOffice to compose it in RTF would be a potential problem,
particularly because in that case, the RTF formatting is invisible to
me. So I won't know if I've done some formatting that RR doesn't
support or not until I bring the material into RR and look at it. Very
inefficient.

HTMLText, OTOH, is visible but it supports a really, really tiny subset
of HTML.

I see that the RR developer/documentation team use a LOT of styled text
in online help. Surely they don't hand-code this stuff as they prepare
it, which means either that they've solved the tool problem or have
figured out how to use external composers to get the desired effects.

Anyone else out there struggling with this issue? What's the best way
to attack it?