Way to package files inside Rev app?

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Tue May 20 23:19:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 03:58  PM, RGould8 at aol.com wrote:

> I've got a Revolution app that is a self-contained executible for Mac
> OS X, plus 2 straggler unix files that it needs to control some
> network operations.
>
> Since .app files in OS X are really unix folders with hidden files
> under then, is there a way I can stash the 2 unix files inside the
> Revolution app and call them with the shell() command in Rev 2.0?

Absolutely, first skim the material about application packaging by
reading up on it here

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/
AppPackaging/

In the Finder, right click or control click and choose Show Package
Contents. Then just copy stuff into it. Most likely Contents/Resources
is where you should put your stuff, but it doesn't really matter.

Note that in the standalone, "the defaultFolder" is going to be set to
the folder containing Your.app. "the filename of this stack" is going
to be set to the actual binary executable file within the bundle, e.g.
the defaultFolder & "/Your.app/Contents/MacOS/Revolution"

shell() is relative to the defaultFolder. So I expect
shell("Your.app/Contents/Resources/yourFile") is what the path will
look like.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com