Default Aqua Windows in OS X

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun May 18 13:04:01 EDT 2003

--- Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> Alan Golub wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > 3. For that matter, is there a way to get the
> textured, or brushed metal,
> > appearance?
>
> The textured windows are not yet supported, but its
> my understanding that
> those and drawers are on the list.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin

Hi Alan and Richard,

Actually, you 'should' be able to accomplish both of
these right now (or at least get very close), with
creative use of the windowShape property and some
scripting.

Use Photoshop or another graphics tool to make an
image with the right shape and transparant 'holes' for
the top and bottom. Then import the image and set the
windowShape property of the stack to its ID.
Then create a button at the back that will give the
brushed metallic look via its backPattern and will
allow the user to drag the window around anywhere
there isn't another control.
See the mailing list archives for a script to drag
items around ; but instead of changing the rect of
some control, set the rect of the stack or change its
location on mouseMove.
Add a few buttons with 'armedIcon' and the like for
the red, yellow and green light controls, and you're
all set.

If you want drawers, you can first make the right
shape and holes, and then use these for a second
stack. Show this second stack to the right of your
real stack and add some artwork for the edges.
Now you could trap the 'moveStack' message and make
the second stack move around as well, but
unfortunately this isn't sent continually so it will
look odd on screen -- hence you will also need to
mimic the standard windowbar of the window.
Again, make a windowShape image and do some more
artwork to make it look good ; the added advantage of
replacing the windowbar is that it won't go
transparant when you activate the 'drawer' stack by
clicking on it -- strategic placement of a few gray
lines on the edges of both windows can add to this
effect.
Wrap it up by placing buttons along the edges that
will allow the user to drag the 'window+drawer' around
by changing the location of both the stacks at the
same time.

The main downside of this approach is that windows
can't be resizable, but maybe someone else can figure
that one out on the basis of the imageData ?
I know this isn't a complete recipe, nor the easiest
thing to do ; I experimented a bit with it but had to
return my attention to 'real' work ; but I figured it
couldn't hurt to share my reasonings :-)

Jan Schenkel.

=====