Building data base aps with Rev

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun May 18 09:03:00 EDT 2003

--- Jan Schenkel <janschenkel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> on PopulateFields pConnectionID, pColumns, pTables,
> pCondition
>   -- asuming you have connected already
>   --  pConnectionID = the connection number
>   -- now let's make good use of the merge function
>   --  pColumns   = the column names
>   --  pTables    = the table(s) involved
>   --  pCondition = the content of the WHERE-clause
>   put merge("SELECT [[pColumns]] FROM [[pTables]]
> WHERE [[pCondition]] ;") into tSQLQuery
>   put revQueryDatabase(pConnectionID,tSQLQuery) into
> tCursor
>   if tCursor is not a number then answer tCursor
>   else
>     repeat with i = 1 to
> revDatabaseColumnCount(tCursor)
>       put revDatabaseColumnNumbered(i) into field i
>     end repeat
>   end if
> end PopulateFields
>
> Nice and simple, but you'll have more work to do if
> you want to update records in the database.
> Personally, I prefer to work with the column names,
> and that's just as easy to implement, and I like a
> bit
> of error checking as well :
>
>     put revDatabaseColumnNames() into tColumnNames
>     repeat for each item tColumnName in tColumnNames
>       if there is a field tColumnName then put \
>          revDatabaseColumnNamed(tColumnName) into \
>          field tColumnName
>     end repeat

Hmm, appearently my brain was still partially on
holiday, so let me correct the above:

  if tCursor is not a number then answer tCursor
  else
    repeat with i = 1 to
revDatabaseColumnCount(tCursor)
      put revDatabaseColumnNumbered(tCursor,i) into
field i
    end repeat
  end if

--- and ---

    put revDatabaseColumnNames(tCursor) into \
        tColumnNames
    repeat for each item tColumnName in tColumnNames
      if there is a field tColumnName then put \
         revDatabaseColumnNamed(tCursor, tColumnName)
\
         into field tColumnName
    end repeat

Sorry about any confusion I may have caused.

Jan Schenkel.

=====