Pausing a simple animation

Jim Biancolo webmaster at listology.com
Thu May 15 20:47:01 EDT 2003

At 06:24 PM 5/15/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Ooops ... my fault.  Let's try that again.  Should have been "without
>waiting".

Ah, gotcha!  Thanks for the follow-up.  Unfortunately I already have
"without waiting" in there.  I had (stupidly) snipped it in my first
example and represented it with an ellipsis because I didn't think it would
be relevant, but I did include it in my second example:

--- EXAMPLE ---
When I hit "play" this code runs:

on mouseUp
    send animateTokens to card "myCanvas" in 10 milliseconds
end mouseUp

This invokes the handler:

on animateTokens
   global b_play
   put TRUE into b_play
   repeat for each line L in field "frames"
     set the lockMoves to true
     repeat with i = 1 to the number of images in group "tokens_group"
       move image i of group "tokens_group" to coords without waiting
     end repeat
     set the lockMoves to false
     if not b_play then break
   end repeat
end animateTokens
--- /EXAMPLE ---

With the code above, even with "without waiting", the "pause" button is
unclickable until animateTokens completes.  What I want to be able to do is
click "pause" and set the global var "b_play" to FALSE, thereby breaking
the loop in animateTokens, but I'm good and stuck at the moment.

Thanks!

Jim