get the layer of a control within its group

erik hansen erikhans08 at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 17:12:01 EDT 2003

--- Ken Norris <pixelbird at interisland.net> wrote:
> **********
> > Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 23:30:20 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: erik hansen <erikhans08 at yahoo.com>
> > Subject: get the layer of a control within
> its group
>

> > i am trying to get the layer of a control
> > within its group. the group "Piano" has
> buttons
> > representing 52 white keys followed by 36
> black
> > keys.
> >
> > in group editing mode btn "n22" (the lowest
> black
> > key) has the layer = 53. otherwise the level
> is
> > given as 125.
> >
> > the idea is to determine how to change the
> > appearance of the button when it is clicked
> on.
> > black and white keys have different behavior.
> >
> > i would like to keep all of the buttons in
> the
> > same group. 88 has a nice heft to it. i could
> > make a list of the 88 ids and determine use
> > itemOffset,
> > but is their an easy way to get the layer of
> > control relative to its group?
> ----------
> I don't have the answer, But I'm interested in
> what you're doing. I very
> much want to build an onscreen piano keyboard
> for people with severe motor
> deficits and poor vision.
>
> The idea would be to have a hover mechanism
> that will speak the key name,
> when the user hovers over it, into a
> single-sided headset through a special
> feedback channel, then, if it is what they
> want, they click and it plays
> through the speakers.
>
> It's a rainy day here, so I can't mow (my
> outdoor business is mostly that in
> the spring and summer), so I have some
> unexpected time to be creative today.
>
> Best regards,
> Ken N.

ok, i will dig up the code that created the
buttons and save you a few minutes. you will
probably want to modify it.

getting the Xtalk data translated into MIDI is a
topic i have raised and gotten responses for.
there is interest, we all seem to be doing
triage.

Erik

=====
erik at erikhansen.org    http://www.erikhansen.org