QT Bug - fforward, playstopped & visual effects (was: video tribulations & congratulations)

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon May 12 10:25:02 EDT 2003

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 04:01  AM, DVGlasgow at aol.com wrote:
> Simple is best.  A 1 card stack with a group of buttons called "play
> tutorial"  which is used as an index and to start the various movies.
> Mouseup on each button just names the movie, sets the volume (becuse I
> was a
> bit erratic volumewise when I was recording) and sends playit which is
> caught
> by the card.
> On the card I have:
>
> on preOpenCard
>   hide player "viewer"
>   show group "play tutorial"
> end preOpenCard
>
> on playit
>   global gvid,gvol
>
>   hide group "play tutorial" with visual effect dissolve
>   wait 20 ticks
>   set the filename of player "viewer" to "video/" & gvid
>   set the currenttime of player viewer to 0
>   set the playloudness of player "viewer" to gvol
>   show player "viewer" with visual effect dissolve
>   wait 20 ticks
>   play player "viewer"
> end playit
>
> on playstopped
>   hide player "viewer" with visual effect dissolve
>   set the filename of player "viewer" to empty
>   show group "play tutorial" with visual effect dissolve
> end playstopped
>
> Now, everything works fine.  EXCEPT if a user uses the fast forward
> button on
> the QT controler to go to the end of the movie (as opposed to dragging
> the
> blob or allowing the movie to play) the playstopped handler runs to
> show
> group play tutorial, then the whole thing seems to get stuck in a
> slowly
> flickering visual effect.  The stack refuses to respond to any clicks,
> and
> unless the debugger is open, neither will rev.  If the debugger is
> open, I
> can edit scripts, access the application overview, - all sorts, but
> still not
> use the stack and also not quit rev.  Happens everytime, and once a
> force
> quit took the system with it.

David,

I am experiencing the same problem you have with the latest beta of
2.0.  Seems like a bug.  I haven't been able to track down a workaround
to this problem besides not using the visual effect in the playstopped
handler.  It seems that no matter what you do the program will freeze
if the playstopped is initiated after fast forwarding to the end of the
video and releasing the mouse button AND you use a visual effect.  Not
using the visual effect doesn't cause the freeze.

If I come across anything else I will let you know.

Trevor