Fixed-time timers problem-help!

Bryan McCormick bryan at deepfoo.com
Sat May 10 15:37:02 EDT 2003

Folks,

This ought to be brain-dead simple, but I cannot for the life of me get
this to work. I have a stack that needs to run itself at set times of
the day. The intervals are large and fixed, that is there is a specific
clock time involved, not just an interval.

For example, I need the stack to be aware of the time of day when it
opens and initialize itself. That part is easy.

Then I need the stack to send out a request for data every half hour
through a simple script which is working fine, so all we need is the
timer. So that is on the half-hour and hour as follows:

9, 9:30,10, 10:30, ... all the way to 4PM.

Now, the problem is "send" works great in cases where you need to
"poll" on a regular basis or for event contro where you don't want to
use idlel. However I don't  need that at all. Ideally I would want to
create 13 messages (13 half-hour intervals with set times) to start the
script.

It does not seem possible (at least the way I've done it) to "stuff"
the time into the item of pendingmessages and let it go. In other
words, I would ideally love to open the stack, get the time, have the
13 messages "popped" into the pendingmessages and off we go.

So what have I missed? How embarrassed am I going to be at how simple
this is?