Rev to quit all other apps

RGould8 at aol.com RGould8 at aol.com
Fri May 9 22:30:02 EDT 2003

I've got a Rev application that is sublaunched from Mindvision VISE.   The
only reason at present for using VISE is it's ability to quit all other
applications before continuing.   If I can accomplish this in Rev by itself,
that would be great, as then I can stop paying all these VISE licensing fees.
  (We also used VISE to track which Mac OS was being used and sublaunch
either the OS 8/9 Rev engine or the OS X rev engine, but now we're just
releasing OS X products, so this is not an issue anymore)   We also use VISE
to copy a couple of Unix commands to the user's temp directory, but I can do
that in Rev.

The way that Mindvision VISE searches for active applications is quite
robust, and I'm not sure if Rev can do it all.   Somehow VISE goes through
each app and detects if it's running, and quits it.   Sometimes applications
refuse to quit, and VISE alerts the user that they will have to quit the
other application manually.   I realize that one can tell applications to
quit via Applescript, but I'm sure there are all kinds of time-out issues to
take into consideration.

Has anyone every tried to do something like this in Revolution before?