Building a search engine into a project

Revinfo1155 at Revinfo1155 at
Tue May 6 19:52:01 EDT 2003

In a message dated 5/6/03 4:54:45 PM, sanke at writes:

> On Sun, 04 May 2003  James Lewes <jameslewes at> wrote:
> > I was thinking of using Revolution to build a catalog for a bookstore.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it expandable and 
> searchable
> > without having to link it up to a database.
> >
> There were already some responses to this question, among them the
> suggestion to try out the find command.
> For my own purposes I tried a search routine based on the lineoffset
> function.
> While fighting with the sometimes very slow speed of the old Rev
> Application Overview, especially when dealing with larger number of
> cards and/or controls in a stack (we had a discussion about that a long
> time ago on this list), I put together a RevBrowser (and a MCBrowser for
> Metacard) for better performance that included a search routine to
> search all control scripts of a stack - as one of several options.
> James Lewis´s question let me take a second look at that old search
> routine. I substituted text fields for controls and got a search routine
> of which I am unsure if the speed would be compatible (or tolerable) in
> comparison with "real" databases. I`ll provide more information about
> that aspect in a second.
> The features of that search routine are:
> During the search the following information is shown:
> - the number of cards still to be searched
> - the number of fields in which the searchstring was found
> - the cumulative number of hits in these fields
> When the search is completed the displayed results comprise:
> - the address of the hit: name of field, ID of field, name of card, ID
> of card
> - the text of the lines of the field with the found searchstring along
> with the line number
> - the searchstring in each found line is displayed in red
> When you click at the line of the address, the respective card of the
> searched stack is immediately shown (i.e. this works apparently faster
> than the routine of typing a search word into the "find" field of the
> transcript dictionary).
> The question of speed for a search routine may indeed be a decisive
> issue. I used an older version of the Transcript Dictionary as a test
> stack.
> On a comparatively slow Windows computer with 800 MH to search the 13812
> fields of the 1152 cards took 22 seconds to display the result as
> described.
> The speed could probably still be optimized if you leave out some of the
> information that is being searched for in the  current version of the
> search routine -
> I do not know whether this would be interesting to James Lewis or
> others.
> Let me know offlist when you should be interested in that search
> routine. I have yet to "polish" that stack to make it presentable; if
> there are more than a two or three requests, I will place that stack on
> our FTP-server.
> Regards,
> Wilhelm Sanke

I would be interested in seeing the stack as I am also writing a library 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the use-livecode mailing list