Building a search engine into a project

Ray Bennett smilingeyes at mac.com
Mon May 5 00:00:01 EDT 2003

Oh.  Sorry to be so long winded, then.

The "search engine" is pretty much built into Revolution.  Most of what
you need is in the "find" command.   Start by reading the Transcript
Dictionary on "Find".   Then I'd recommend reading "How to search a
container" and "How to search a stack" and then finally, using the Rev
2.0 beta, look at the "Recipe for a Find field".

(The easiest way to get to all of these, IMHO, is to open the
Transcript Dictionary, then type "Find" into the "Find term:" box.
This gives you the Find command writeup, and the "See Also" pulldown
menu gets loaded with all of the related stuff - including the ones I
mention above.)

You'll also want to investigate all of the "found..." functions, such
as foundLine, foundField, foundText, etc.  These are useful for helping
you tailor your searches and evaluate search results.  Also, as is the
case with most of the Rev documentation in its current state, each of
the items in the dictionary may contain some nugget of information that
isn't really available anywhere else.  I find that reading and
re-reading some of the "See Also" entries for any given command is the
only way to really understand the bigger picture.

Hope this reply is more helpful than the last one.