Parallel Rev stacks

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sun Mar 30 19:45:01 EST 2003

Hi Rev list,

As some of you know I'm using Rev (and also HC) to develop onscreen
keyboards for the severely disabled.

The question is:

Can I get Rev to type characters (from mouseclicks, not the physical
keyboard) and information into other programs, such as web browsers?

I've been poring over the large amount of CGI/Browser posts all afternoon.
One thing seems basically apparent: We cannot run a Rev stack in parallel
with another app (is this really true?), nor does it seem very practical to
build a browser with Rev (although theoretically it should be possible).

Now, believe me, I'm aware of the fact that there are a number of onscreen
keyboards already out there, but the really comprehensive ones, though they
can compensate for various deficits, lack some intuitive simplicity, and are
so expensive as to be out of range for many. Further, mine involve extensive
feedback processes, and some very different methods of operation (more
gamelike) which are very exciting.

My first intuitve idea is have to Rev send characters directly to a port or
socket, though I don't yet understand how (I'm studying, but I still don't
'get' a lot of it yet), and the course instructers at my local Community
College extension don't really know either (I'm getting more hi-end
knowledge right here in this list...for which I will always be grateful
:+)).

If I can get this to happen, I have some ideas for getting grants to
hopefully launch these services so I can spend full time work on it (as it
is I only have about maybe 10 max hours or so a week). Maybe then I can
actually get a couple of them finished.

Any help and continued guidance is appreciated,
Ken N.