[OT] Flash wants standalones

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Mar 28 03:37:01 EST 2003

Hi Richard,

I've been involved in this "time has come" discussion on this list
before...and it always seems to boil down to a security issue. As I'm sure
you know, there are huge security holes in the current RevNet (not that any
of us would take advantage of) which need be addressed before launching a
standalone player. Of course, if you (like I do with ButtonGadget) control
all the source stacks, you shouldn't have any problems, but if you want to
create a ubiquitous player -- there are some major considerations.

My thinking is it's best to 'certify' stacks. Even then, the Rev/MC model
has much more power along with tampering opportunities than either Flash or
JAVA. Both Flash and JAVA try to create a 'sandbox' to run in -- so they
can't write to local files, open local files, etc.. Rev/MC can of course do
this, though one may wish to restrict some of it in a player.

Kevin also has thought a bit about how this could happen. If you're
interested, you might try contacting him (or I) offlist.

best,

Chipp