[OT] Flash wants standalones

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 27 22:31:01 EST 2003

Trevor DeVore wrote:

> For some Flash developers this will be great and they will love it.  I
> agree with you however.  I don't want someone else to have as much
> control over the player that my app is running in as it appears that
> Central will have.

This is a very timely discussion:  I've been working on a variant of RevNet
as a standalone so I can distribute small freeware "applets" that I
otherwise wouldn't want to support as full-fledge applications.

Along the way I considered making a standalone version of RevNet itself, but
I don't hear a lot of requests here for that sort of thing so I haven't
pursued it heavily yet.

However, this discussion of Macromedia's effort and the recent long thread
about Konfabulator raise the question anew, tempered by the considerations
you raised.

The upside of the RevNet model is that since it's just an index and is
openly accessible for anyone to add stuff to it in real time, it doesn't
impose restrictions on how a stack is distributed or behaves.

In essence, what we're really talking about is a form of player app, but one
that provides a basic framework (a sort of "home stack") for the user
experience.

Thus far most Rev, MC, and even SuperCard developers tend to focus on
standalones, and my previous attempts in each of these camps over the years
to see if there was much interest in such a "player" app met with enthusiasm
from only a very few developers.

Is this an idea whose time has come?

--
 Richard Gaskin