Filemaker Pro, Web and Rev - More Experiments

Gary Rathbone gary.rathbone at btclick.com
Tue Mar 25 06:31:01 EST 2003

Thought I'd continue posting my experiments / problems as they may be useful
to others as well as hoping to find someone to shed some light on whats
actually happening.

I've got Filemaker running on the same XP box with a Rev query app. I've
also got a separate Mac on OSX running the same Rev app. The Rev app is very
simple, it consists of a button and two fields. The button script is

on mouseup
  put
"http://10.0.0.14:68/FMPro?-DB=requests.fp5&-Format=qeds/results.htm&Status=
Current&-Find" into tURL
  put URL tURL into fld "tRep"
  put the result&cr into fld "tError"
  put seconds()&cr after fld "tError"
end mouseup

When I use the Rev app on the Mac it works great. The expected results are
returned time and time again - no problem. When I use the same code on the
XP box it works the first time then seems to get 'clogged'.
The error returned from the result is "error timeout" or if I click twice
quickly then "error Previous request not completed" (this is when clicked
within the SocketTimeoutInterval and is what I'd expect). When this happens
the Mac app still works fine, which seems to point to FileMaker being OK.

OK, now what happens if I put the Filemaker database on the Mac. Changing
the IP address in the URL line to the IP address of the Mac results in the
following...

The Mac app (now on the same box as the Filemaker database) works great -
everytime.
The XP app (now looking at the FM database across the network) also works -
everytime.

So, to summarise...

                  FM on Mac       FM on XP
Rev on Mac           OK              OK
Rev on XP            OK              BROKEN

So three out of the four scenarios work OK, the fourth, which is the
combination I need (I'm sure this must be somebody's law, murphy's, sods...)
is the one that doesn't work.

Any ideas why ?

Thanks - and apologies for the long post.

Gary Rathbone