What is the minimal install process?

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Sun Mar 23 18:17:01 EST 2003

On Sunday, March 23, 2003, at 03:48  PM, Graham Samuel wrote:

> Is anyone on the list publishing programs with any kind of installer
> who would care to share their techniques with the rest of us?

For Mac OS <=9. Donnow. MindVision has some nice installer tools.

For OS X, I would recommend distribution of a .dmg disk image with an
app bundle in it. To perform the installation, the user drags the app
bundle to their Applications folder. Because app bundles are
self-contained, it's that easy. It makes an actual installer program
annoying and unnecessary. I like DropDMG
http://www.c-command.com/dropdmg/ but there are some other more
expensive tools. Or you can do it from the command line (create the dmg
disk image that is)

For Windows, I highly recommend Inno Setup:
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php . It's a great program that does
most of the stuff InstallShield does, but at a tiny fraction of the
cost.

I'm not sure what you mean about Multiplatform Installer. Each OS has
different installation requirements so shouldn't you use an
installation technique appropriate for that platform?

In general you should allow the user to install the software to
wherever they want, by overriding the default.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com