What is the minimal install process?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Mar 23 18:13:01 EST 2003

> 1. As I understand it, there are certain conventional places programs
> are supposed to go (various flavours of 'Applications' folders in
> MacOS 9 and 10, presumably the 'Programs' folder in all versions of
> Windows). I can't guarantee that my user is going to follow my
> written advice and copy the standalone to one of these special
> destinations - so do I therefore need an installer to make sure the
> program turns up in the 'right' place? I don't understand the
> consequences of putting stuff in the 'wrong' place on any platform.

On Windows, a person can place your .exe file anywhere on the hard disk
they have access to. Depending on how permissions may or may not have
been set on the PC, the Windows (or WinNT) directory along with the
System directory may be read-only (and more paranoid IT admins may lock
down other folders as well, but that's the basics). So technically, as
long as they can drag and drop your EXE without getting an error...
that's a "good" installation.

With that in mind, however, the "appropriate" (and I quote that, since
your meaning of 'appropriate' may vary ;-) place to put an executable is
in a subdirectory of the Program Files folder, named either (a)
according to your company, or (b) according to the name of the
application. Also, it is normal to add a shortcut to the Start menu.
This makes sure the user doesn't have to go digging down several folders
to launch your program.

For these reasons, it may well be best to pick up a Windows installer
program and use it; there are several out there, and even a couple of
free (or shareware) ones. Personally, I like Wise Installer, but it's
pricey (although you get A LOT of options).

Just my $0.02,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com