What's the best way to find out if a file exists?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 19:25:00 EST 2003

On  Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:50:18 -0700 Alex Rice
<alrice at ARCplanning.com> wrote (and thanks for the amazingly speedy
reply!):

>On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 04:08  PM, Graham Samuel wrote:
>>   if exists(file someFilePath) then
>>     do something
>>   else
>>     do something else
>>   end if
>
>See "there is a" operator, which works with files and folders in
>addition to objects.

Dang! I was dimly aware of the "there is a" construct but I thought
it was synonymous with "exists" (I might perhaps be forgiven for
thinking so...). Anyway, thanks Alex, that's just what I wanted to
know!

Graham