can revolution apps run without a gui?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Mar 21 16:11:01 EST 2003

On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 01:39 PM, Zac Elston wrote:

> I want to be able to run a standalone app without a gui on the command
> line.  Can one develop an application in the rev gui enviroment, save
> it for many OS's and run them as command line apps?

On Windows and OS X you can run a standalone from a command line.  You
can probably do that from linux and unix OSes, too.

General command line arg parsing is hard in Windows Rev.  You may need
to choose to to do one of these: quote all args, quote each arg, or
never quote (no spaces in file names etc).  I don't think this will
change.  Parsing is simple in OS X Rev.

The application main stack will show unless you do something about that.

I have seen some stdin/stdout problems some of which seem to be related
to eof vs empty buffer semantics.  If you run these from open process
with update, your problems will be compounded.  Some of these problems
may be limited to Windows.

Running applications like this seems to be discouraged.  You might be
better off using the scheme Ken Ray mentioned, but I expect it will
have many of these same problems.

Dar Scott