Scripted musical notation available

Rick Harrison harrison at all-auctions.com
Thu Mar 20 10:19:01 EST 2003

On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 07:32  AM, Luigi Di Martino wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thank you Kurt and Erik for the useful insights. I won't give up
> trying to get my head around how to program, although I fear it will
> take me longer than my patience will allow. The shakabox (beat
> machine) idea is moving me closer to what I'd like to do. The main
> area that I will need to learn is how to map one midi note to another.
> Then to instruct the program to perform some other duties, like "take
> musical phrase around the intervals 1 3 #5", and "transpose circle of
> 5ths up by the ratio of a Comma (80:81)" . Basically I want a piece of
> software that allows me to compose my 'mirror' music ideas.
>
> In 1997 a programmer did build me a basic mirroring program, called
> The Mirrormaker. It does the midi mapping. I am no longer in touch
> with the programmer and have no access to the code, and it was written
> for only windows anyway. If anyone is interested in hearing a few I
> have over a thousand midi files that I have mirrored with this
> software. To get the software to perform more scripts is what I would
> love to learn to do, but I have to start at the beginning again and
> find out about the mapping of notes.
>
> Should I perhaps concentrate on the design of a program and find a
> programmer willing to write the code for such a design? Or perhaps
> someone can recommend me a cool book that is easy to understand (for
> dunces!)
>
> Thanks for reading
> Lui

Flipping other's music to create a "new" piece is not original.
I once heard of a student who thought he'd flip his professor's
doctoral composition so that he wouldn't have to do much work.
What came out was Beethoven's 9th!

It can be fun for a while, flipping Christmas music is hysterical!

Wouldn't you rather be creative on your own?

Cheers,

Rick Harrison