Flash/QTdebug/ActiveX

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Mar 18 15:20:29 EST 2003

> As I've said before, I'd be excited about using Rev if I could imbed
> Flash files for animation and interfaces. If I'm the only one
> interested in this I'll shut up and lurk ;-]

I don't think you're the only one interested, I think there's simply the
problem of reliability.  As far as I know, the interactive side of Flash has
never worked well under QuickTime, until maybe recently with QT 6.  Even
then, I seem to recall some folks saying that clicks and other mouse events
do not always get processed reliably or can happen slowly.  There may also
be an issue of version (there was in the past): does QT6 support FlashMX or
Flash 5?  But in terms of animation, you should be set; just make sure you
allow for the brief QT initialization delay when starting up your stack.

The interesting thing is, you can do much of what Flash offers natively
within Rev.  The only major elements really missing are built-in
anti-aliasing, morphing and of course compression, but otherwise, you can do
some decent animation/effects.  (With the help of Rich Hertz, I put together
an ease-in function that seems to work pretty well for moving objects.  When
time permits, we'll post a demo.)

I think many folks would like to use Flash within Rev/MC as long as the
performance is there.  Perhaps you might try some additional experiments and
report back to the list.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director