Math question: How to compute the area of polygons

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Mar 18 13:08:01 EST 2003

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 02:06 AM, Malte Brill wrote:

> I want to extract all lines of 2 polygons by analysing their points,
> evaluate the area of each of them with some magic formula I don´t know
> ;-)

Figure out how to get the area of a triangle.  Then come up with a way
to methodically break up a polygon into triangles.  Add up the areas of
those.

> and to figure out the area of the smallest polygon surrounding both of
> them.

Do you mean a smallest polygon that contains exactly the union of the
points in the two polygons?  (If the polygons do not overlap this might
include a thin bridge with no area.)

Or do you mean the smallest _convex_ polygon such that all points in
the two polygons are in the generated polygon?  (By convex, I mean all
angles at corners are <= 180 degrees, that there are no "dents" in the
sides.)

Dar Scott