Supercard vs. Rev

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 14 15:12:01 EST 2003

Tim Hart wrote:

> So now that Supercard 4 is out.  What are your opinions?  I was reading
> in MacWorld and they kind of made a stab at Rev for waiting so long to
> release 2.  I have to say it is funny.

My Rev-based product also got a 4.5-mouse review in that magazine just a
month earlier, so I read it with great enthusiasm.  Yet I couldn't find a
reference to Rev's ship date there, only a reference that Rev and RealBASIC
are also in the market, and the reviewer seemed unclear that Rev has been
shipping for OS X and Windows (he forgot to mention Linux and UNIX) for
quite some time now, and of course relative performance was never brought
up.

> I mean what is the hold up.  I don't mean to be a jerk but I don't see
> how they could possibly miss their original announcement by 4 months
> of just bug fixing.  What is going on?

I'm confident that as a long-time xTalker you recognize, as Mark Lucas
himself has said, that it's valuable for all xTalk products to support
others in different niches.  As long as your question is motivated by a
sincere interest in using Rev 2.0 I'm sure no one here would accuse you of
being a "jerk".

Thus far the shift from Rev 1.x to 2.0 is moving faster than SC 3.x to 4.0,
so any problem lies more with Rev's rush to announce ship dates prematurely
than any actual engineering issue.

What Rev 2.0 features are holding up your work?  I'll bet we could come up
with some acceptable alternatives to keep your project moving forward in the
meantime.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation