Supercard vs. Rev

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 11:38:00 EST 2003

--- Jan Schenkel <janschenkel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Tim Hart <timothy.hart5 at verizon.net> wrote:
> > So now that Supercard 4 is out.  What are your
> > opinions?  I was reading
> > in MacWorld and they kind of made a stab at Rev
> for
> > waiting so long to
> > release 2.  I have to say it is funny.  I mean
> what
> > is the hold up.  I
> > don't mean to be a jerk but I don't see how they
> > could possibly miss
> > their original announcement by 4 months of just
> bug
> > fixing.  What is
> > going on?
> >

> Well, Tim, let's see how a group of developers
> usually
> ends up in this type of situation :
> - have a large number of users all asking for
> extensions for their particular field of work
> - worst-case scenario extension to this is when you
> have a bunch of salespeople promising heaven on
> earth
> without having a clue as to how much work is needed
> - have a huge load of brilliant ideas yourself and
> feel the urge to squeeze them all in
> - make quick prototypes and horribly underestimate
> the
> time needed to not only fully develop them, but also
> to debug them and subsequently polish the thing
> 'till
> it shines
> - realise late in the project that you'll have to
> change the line up for either short-term or
> long-term
> compatibility
> - be dependent on another vendor for core technology
> (MetaCard 2.5 is still in beta, and I don't think
> that
> was exactly planned either)
> - have to find work-arounds for limitations, bugs
> and
> incompatibilities at OS level
> - interrupt your schedule for work that will bring
> in
> cash right away rather than getting sucked dry by a
> project that is already behind schedule
> - feel the competition breathing down your neck and
> the subsequent additional feature creep
> - mix in pressure from a few more angles, and see
> some
> people actually underperforming because of it
> - add bugs because of all this, and you get a very
> tough product development cycle

And in all this, I haven't even touched the surface of
personnel change -- again, no indication of that
happening over at RunRev HQ ; but another factor that
can seriously impact the development cycle.
It's a shame one can't _really_ make software at the
speed of thought. Though some tools make it a lot
easier indeed.

Jan Schenkel.

=====