sentences as items

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Mon Mar 10 07:39:01 EST 2003

>Message: 7
>Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:00:14 +0100
>To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>From: Signe Marie Sanne <signe.sanne at roman.uib.no>
>Subject: Re: sentences as items
>
>>You can do it one of two ways.  I am using .rtf files
>>and reading them in at run-time so that I have styled
>>text.  What I first did was use the command "set the
>>clipboardData["text"] to NumToChar(160)" in the Rev
>>Message Box.  Then I opened my text editor and pasted
>>where necessary.  It worked well.  But then I moved my
>>file to the Mac.  Because it's a higher ASCII
>>character, it didn't display right on the Mac.  So
>>what I ended up doing was putting some other lower
>>ASCII character like "~" (or anything that's not very
>>likely) in my files instead of the actual delimiter
>>character.
>
>I would suggest using "#" as delimiter since you find it easily (in
>the same way and place) on the keyboard for both Windows and Mac.
>--
>
>1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
>Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
>Oysteins gt. 1
>5007 Bergen       	 http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/hjem/default.html
>Norway
>
>--__--__--

Since the objective is to treat sentences as items, it might be
easier to just use the period as the delimiter. (Unless of course
there are decimals within the text and then you will have to deal
with these separately no matter what delimiter you choose.)

With the period as delimiter you could either place a period after
each question mark and exclamation point manually as you have been,
or, more simply, do it programatically as follows:

replace "?" with "?." in tText -- Note the period.
replace "!" with "!." in tText

Then perform the text manipulations with each sentence as an item.
When this is completed you would

replace "?." with "?" in tText
replace "!." with "!" in tText

Jim