Goofy button behavior

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sun Mar 9 05:36:01 EST 2003

At 2:12 pm -0500 8/3/03, Ken Norris wrote:
>Howdy,
>
>I have a button which is not part of a group, and never was. It shows its
>own selection handles, not group selection handles, with "Select Grouped
>Controls" off, the same as other buttons which are not grouped. If I select
>buttons which are grouped in that case, it shows the group's selection
>handles.
>
>All OK so far? OK, now watch this (here's the problem):
>
>It is executing the script of a group. In fact it is mixing the script of a
>group to which it does not belong (in fact, it is not grouped at all) with
>its own script.
>
>What's going on and how do I fix it.

I guess the group's background behavior is set to true. So if an
event (mouseUp for example) is not handled in the button, it will be
passed to the group (background).

Depending on circumstances, you can do one of the following:

-- turn off "backgroundBehavior" in the group

--  in the group script, enclose handlers with a condition like this:

on mouseUp
   if the owner of the target is me then
    ##normal stuff here
   end if
end mouseUp

--  catch the events in the non-grouped objects (probably not such a
practical approach)

Cheers
Dave