windows, memory and how the heck do i debug crashes

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 6 10:31:00 EST 2003

> I have a fairly complex application that is well-behaved on OS X
> (10.2.4) and well-behaved on OS 9.2.2.
>
> On Windows, 98 and XP, the application crashes with irregularity.   I
> think have isolated it to times of intensive paging, pardon the pun.
> Specifically, if I do a lot of "go to card x, get some data, change
> some other data depending on that, then come back, make some changes on
> this card, then go back, etc....
>
> The stacks I'm building on the fly approach 10 MB pretty frequently.
>
> The standalone will just quit (graceful Windows abort, not a hard
> crash).

Two things to checkL

1. Try turning your display's hardware accelleration option off.

2. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your display.

I've been making Win standalones on my Mac for years, and in the few cases
where I've had mysterious behavior, one or both of the above have taken case
of it in nearly every case.  They may not be at the root of your issues, but
they're worth trying.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation