windows, memory and how the heck do i debug crashes

Ray Bennett smilingeyes at mac.com
Wed Mar 5 19:55:01 EST 2003

Okay, this isn't an easy question, but let me try and cut to the chase.

I have a fairly complex application that is well-behaved on OS X
(10.2.4) and well-behaved on OS 9.2.2.

On Windows, 98 and XP, the application crashes with irregularity.   I
think have isolated it to times of intensive paging, pardon the pun.
Specifically, if I do a lot of "go to card x, get some data, change
some other data depending on that, then come back, make some changes on
this card, then go back, etc....

The stacks I'm building on the fly approach 10 MB pretty frequently.

The standalone will just quit (graceful Windows abort, not a hard
crash).

I register the app with the registry using the snippet that was on the
use-rev list earlier this year.  Now, I don't check to see if the app
is already registered, I just do the HKEY sets every time I fire up if
the platform is Win32.  Other than that, I do no platform checking.

Two questions:
   a) is there a known issue with standalones on windows and memory?
   b) how do I debug these windows problems?

Really stuck here.  Thanks!
Ray