copying grps

Stephen Messimer steve at messimercomputing.com
Wed Mar 5 08:52:03 EST 2003

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 05:03 AM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> -- Seems to work for me, however, it's a little baffling why it works.
>
> When one copies a group, when will all the properties of it's
> subgroups, controls, etc. get copied along with it, and when won't
> they?

Hi Alex,

I work a lot with groups.  I don't seem to have any problems with
copied grps retaining the properties I stipulate.  In my experience
with this I have found that Rev will always copy grps faithfully and
this includes any buttons, fields and nested grps. The problem arises
when you try to get their scripts to work properly. When you copy a grp
all the objects  in the grp get new IDs.  If you have referenced the
ids in your scripts they aren't going to work (because they will have
changed).  I have found that if I name all the objects in a group ( at
least those that are going to be referred to in scripts) that
everything works out fine.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Steve