Sort, Find, RawKeyDown ... / diacritical problems.

Pierre pierre.bernaert at www.runrev.com
Tue Mar 4 05:50:36 EST 2003

De: Pierre <pierre.bernaert>
Date: Sam 1 mars 2003  09:20:33 Europe/Paris
À: Liste Révolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
Objet: Sort,  Find, RawKeyDown ... / diacritical problems.

Hi everyone,

I'm a french and i'm in the process of translating major (For me)
applications written with Hypercard to RR 1.1.

The main tools of some of them mainly relies on "HyperText" approach.

I found, using RR, that SORT and FIND commands didn't work  with words
having diacritical (Lettres accentuées).

Here is a small transcript which demonstrates what I mean for sorting:

On MouseUp
   Put "œuf,Elephant,Eléphant,Élephant,Éléphant,èléphant,Tigre," into
OriginalValue
   Put OriginalValue into SortedValue
   Sort Items of line 1 of SortedValue
   Answer "Original Value :" && OriginalValue & return & "Sorted Value
:" && SortedValue  & return &   Return & "The correct spelling in
french is 'éléphant or Eléphant and œuf', other spellings are mistakes"
End MouseUp

The result is :
,Elephant,Eléphant,Tigre,Élephant,Éléphant,èléphant,œuf

Observing what the result is for "Tigre" and "œuf" shows what the
problem is ...

Too bad for the command Find , for example "Find Eléphant" will not
find éléphant

I did send a mail to Kevin Miller below is its reply.

					My mail and the Answer from Kevin