Can't see shakobox.mc

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Mar 3 14:14:01 EST 2003

**********
> Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 23:00:58 -0600
> From: "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
> Subject: Re: Can't see shakobox.mc

> On 3/2/03 7:47 PM, Ken Norris wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I can't see shakobox.mc in any list, and can't open it at all.
>.
>
> It's a StuffIt archive. Did you decompress it? If so, do you mean you
> can't open the stack itself?
----------
PreNOTE: If you made shakobox.mc to work ONLY on OSX then that might account
for it. I thought you said there were two versions, but there is only one
available at the d/l site. When I d/l'd Tuviah's externals collection there
were two files: 1) Mac OS, and 2) Mac OSX. However, BOTH show up in Rev's
stack list dialog, whereas "shakobox.mc" does not

Yes to both questions. Notice the name (of course I could've renamed it, but
I didn't). When I d/l'd the file it comes up "shakobox.sit", then when you
doubleclick it, Stuffit automatically unstuffs, i.e., decompresses it.
AFAIK, it would do that no matter where it is. Then you end up with 2 files:

shakobox.mc
shakobox.sit

I trashed "shakobox.sit"

...but you know all that is normal.

If I try to open it from the DT, I get this Mac message:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The document "shakobox.mc" could not be opened because the application that
created it could not be found.

Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

...in addition, "shakobox.mc" cannot be seen by the stack list dialog in
Rev. It simply isn't there, and so it cannot be opened. I put it into a
folder and moved the folder into the Rev folder (the Externals Collection
folder is also in the Rev folder). When I open the folder from within the
Rev folder window, the file is there, but when I open the folder from Rev's
stack list dialog (Menu item "Open Stack"), it is EMPTY. The only
explanation I can think of is that Rev 1.1.1 doesn't recognize it as a
stack.

NOTE: I don't have MC other than the Rev engine.

Still, Tuviah Snyder's externals d/l'd fine and the OS  will open from
within Rev and install OK as well, but if I try to open them 'cold' from the
folder they will also throw the same message above, and won't open (but. as
I said, they DO show up in the Rev stack list dialog, and WILL open, unlike
"shakobox.mc"

I tried renaming it with a .rev extension and with no extension name, no
good, no effect. Tuviah's stacks don't have extensions.

The folder which I  put shakobox.mc into shows 4 tiny parallelograms in the
upper left corner of the mem line of the folder window. I've never seen them
before and don't know what they mean, but it MUST have something to do with
it because they are not there in the folder which has the externals
collection. Where can I find info on the 4 little parallelograms (do they
perhaps represent 4 other folders?).

I have no cure so far :-(, but maybe it has something to do with OS 9.1.
Perhaps the text problem caused it. Maybe it will work if I d/l it to the PB
under OS 8.6. If I can open it there, maybe I can try transferring the file
while file sharing is on. If not maybe I can open it from there and install
it in my Rev apps from there (that would lead me to believe the problem is
somewhere in OS 9.1, i.e., the dithered font doesn't exist and so it refuses
recognition).

I'll try it.

Ken N.