Writing with standalones

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 04:34:01 EST 2003

At 7:42 am +1030 3/3/03, Monte Goulding wrote:
>>  > So what, exactly, would be the "normal" procedure for Windows.
>>  Where should
>>  > I put the folder that contains data stacks and image files?
>>
>>  Everything can go in one folder, or in any folder grouping you want. It
>>  is also normal on Windows for all related files to be grouped together
>>  in the same directory.
>>

>This is not quite correct. There can be problems saving files within the
>Program Files directory on Windows if the user is running NT, 2000 or XP and
>are not logged in as an administrator. Windows actually has a special folder
>specifically for saving user data into.

The same issue applies to Mac OS X if you have your standalone in the
Applications folder and the logged on user has no Admin rights.

On Windows, there are two "Application Data" folders for each user
that can be used for saving datas. One is *typically* at
"C:/Documents and Settings/<user name>/Application Data"; the second
is at "C:/Documents and Settings/<user name>/Local
Settings/Application Data". The first location is the standard
location; the second is for data that you want to remain on the local
machine only and not copied back to the user's roaming profile where
such things are used. For example, cached internet files would go in
the "Local Settings" location.

On Mac OS X, the equivalent would be the Application Support folder at:
"/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/"

See Ken Ray's increasingly brilliant documentation of how to get
these locations on any machine using "specialFolderPath" at:

<http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/metacard/tips/file010.htm>

Cheers
Dave