Writing with standalones

valetia at mac.com valetia at mac.com
Sun Mar 2 02:21:01 EST 2003

Hi Ken,

>> Should the other stack be a substack? Can I read and write to a substack,
>> (which will be in the same folder, right?)?
>
> No. The rule is that an application can't save to its own file. A
> substack would be in the same file on disk as the standalone app, so you
> wouldn't be able to save to it. You need a separate stack on disk if you
> want to save data.

Yup, Jacqueline's right. By default, substacks are saved within the same
file as the standalone once built, so you can't save to them.

However, if you do prefer to work with substacks rather than actual separate
stacks, you can get the distribution builder to automatically save your
substacks as separate stacks during the build process.

You'll find more information about how this is accomplished here:

http://www.runrev.com/revolution/developers/articles/tipoftheweek/1.html

Valetia