Writing with standalones

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sun Mar 2 00:09:01 EST 2003

Hi list,

OK, I'm ready to figure this out for real. I think an HC standalone will
save new cards to itself automatically, but what do I do if I want to save
new cards to a Rev standalone?

On the Mac, I would just make a stack in the same folder operable by the
standalone, add new cards to it and save it from the standalone. This
assumes the Rev engine is in the standalone and, though it can't read and
write to itself, I guess it can read and write to the other one.

Should the other stack be a substack? Can I read and write to a substack,
(which will be in the same folder, right?)?

Anyway, now I remember reading that you can't do that with Windows (put the
save data stack into the same folder). I have no clue why that would be so.
It's normal on a Mac to put data, images, plugins, etc. into the same folder
as the app, so the app doesn't have to go on a search mission for it's
normally-used files.

So what, exactly, would be the "normal" procedure for Windows. Where should
I put the folder that contains data stacks and image files?

Ken N.