use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #1549 - 17 msgs

Stephen Messimer steve at messimercomputing.com
Mon Jun 30 18:58:00 EDT 2003

Rick,

Thanks for the idea.  That may work in some instances.  However most of
the text that needs to be read is changed dynamically based upon user
supplied information.  The information is placed in a variable and the
revspeak command uses the contents of the variable as its source for
speakable text. Since I can't know ahead of time what the user will
place in the variables I can't really make sound files ahead of time.

This scheme works quite well on the mac side of the aisle.  From what I
have seen thus far there is a chance that it might also work on the
windows side as well if there is at least one default voice available.

If someone could run this script on a windows computer and report back
on the result I would be most appreciative.

on mouseUp
revSetSpeechVoice "Victoria" -- this is the default voice I will be
using on mac systems

-- Since "Victoria" isn't a voice that is available on the windows
platform, rev ( or the system?)should default to any available voice
-- "Sam" for instance.
revSpeak "This voice isn't Victoria"

-- if you hear sam or some other voice then I don't have to be too
concerned

end mouseUp

Thanks

Steve

Stephen R. Messimer, PA
208 1st Ave. South
Escanaba, MI 49829
www.messimercomputing.com

--
Macintosh G-4 OSX 10.2.5, OS 9.2.2, 512MB RAM, Rev 2.0 fc1