Slightly OT: Drag 'n Drop Dead

Jim Lambert jiml at netrin.com
Sun Jun 29 17:57:00 EDT 2003

Rev 2.0's Drag 'n Drop capabilities are great. But, I've observed this with
Windows 98.

1. When dragging text from MS Word to a Rev field, the original text remains
in Word and a copy appears in the Rev field. This is how I'd expect
interapplication Drag 'n Drop to work.

2. When dragging text from one ** WordPad ** doc to another WordPad doc, the
original text remains in the source document and a copy appears in the
destination document. This is how I'd expect intra-application,
inter-document Drag 'n Drop to work.

3. When dragging text from WordPad to a Rev field, the original text
vanishes from WordPad and appears in the Rev field. This surprised me; I
thought it would behave just like #1.

4. When dragging text from a new OutLook message to a Rev field, the
original text vanishes from OutLook and appears in the Rev field. This
surprised me too.

5. When dragging text from a new OutLook message to WordPad, the original
text remains in OutLook and appears in WordPad. This really surprised me!

It all seems rather inconsistent. Is there some logical pattern here that
eludes my feeble brain? Or is this simply another example of fine Microsoft
products at work? ;)

Now the real question. I'd like to build a Rev app that consistently
presents the interapplication drag 'n drop behavior illustrated in #1; that
is, text dragged from another app's document stays in that source document
while a copy appears in my rev app. Can it be done? Hints?

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Jim Lambert

---