4 and a bit mice......missing the point

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Sun Jun 29 07:13:00 EDT 2003

Hey Ho!

The central point of my attack on the MacUser review of RR
2 was that it failed to convey the sense of passion and
creative possibility that Runtime Revolution has on many
users.

The review was extremely workmanlike; but 'workmanlike' is
not the type of adjective that fills people's hearts with
song and enthusiasm and a desire to rush to the computer,
download RR 2 and get 'down-and-dirty' with it.  Every week
computer mags are full of workmanlike reviews of software;
most of them are written by people who know what they are
writing about; but not all of us are types who are prepared
to read through workmanlike reviews: what we need is an
article that siezes one by the cough-cough-coughs and makes
us really inspired.  The MacUser review does not do that.

It should be realised by Software reviewers that computers
are no longer wierd, arcane machines that are tended by
alchemists in pointy hats with 25 diplomas in funny
computer languages: but tools that can, and should, be used
by anybody with a drop of creativity in their bones to
express themselves in a multitude of ways.

Wow; got a bit carried away there - but some of us do feel
passion for software that allows us to go all artistic and
try to dxrag some our sense of wonder screaming into the
real world.

Richmond Mathewson