G5/Panther and Rev

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Fri Jun 27 01:46:01 EDT 2003

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 09:11  PM, Ken Norris wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Can someone on the list give us a rundown on some of the implications
> of Rev
> and the MC engine working with the new Mac G5 PPC and OS 10.3 Panther?

I'm no hardware expert, but there is no need to worry- the G5 is
totally backwards compatible for 32 bit PPC software. All your software
will continue to run as normal.

Something that would be really cool, however, would be a set of
externals for doing SIMD routines on various architectures like Altivec
(g4,g5), Intel and AMD also have their own SIMD instruction sets.
Kinda like how Adobe is going to release a photoshop "g5 plugin" to
utilize those routines.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com