Fun with Large Fonts

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 26 19:55:01 EDT 2003

In Microsoft operating systems the user can set the default font size for
controls, window titles, etc.   According to the spec, an application should
respond by querying the registry to get the current font metrics and adjust
all controls to match the formatted width and height.  If controls overlap
as a result of this resizing, the window should be enlarged too accomodate
them.

That's a lot of work, and for little benefit:  by the time the controls are
resized to accomodate the text and the window is resized to accomodate the
controls, the result is not much different from simply lowering the
resolution of the monitor.

But here's the punchline:  this setting is set in the Display control panel,
which in XP ignores the font size settings altogether. ;)

So my question for you folks is:  Do any of you know if this is a bug in
XP's Display control panel, or is Microsoft now telling us we can also
ignore the Large Fonts setting?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation