[OT] Re: Apple's New Product Announcements

Mark Talluto revlists at canelasoftware.com
Thu Jun 26 00:12:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 02:44 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> For those of you using Macs out there who want to stay connected with
> other
> Mac users, you might want take a look at Apple's new iChatAV (free beta
> download on Apple's site).  A friend and I tried this out recently on a
> couple of laptops and while the audio quality varies, it *can* be
> phenomenal
> with very little delay between send and receive.
>
> Both of us were connected wirelessly, with my friend sitting in his
> backyard
> and me at my studio, all without cables, external microphones or
> additional
> hardware: we simply talked "at" our laptops and our voices were sent
> over
> the network (a mic is hidden somewhere in the laptop case).  I could
> actually hear the birds in my friend's backyard.
>
> (BTW, a hint for iChatAV -- pressing the mute button on the status
> panel
> every so often restores the voice quality of your broadcast nicely.)
>
> Looking forward to a connected future...

Did you see the min requirements to run that program?  600Mhz G3 or
better.  That really cuts out a huge market for Apple.  I like the easy
to use interface, but gosh that thing eats up serious CPU power.

Another alternative would be:  Squid Cam from www.squidsoft.com
For $20.00 you can run multiple connections (something iChat AV can not
do).  Even connects with Win versions of the software.   I think Apple
needs to get those system reqs down a bit.

Just a few thoughts sense I was testing it out today myself.

Best regards,
Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com