Esperanto & Revolution

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Wed Jun 25 07:30:28 EDT 2003

Hi all!

I wanted to know from the other Esperantists in the list, what your
tips and tricks are for dealing with Esperanto text in Revolution. I'm
finding it really hard to deal with unicode text in any language that
is not a 'keyboard' language in MacOS X (ie, languages that you have to
use a unicode keyboard, such as the 'US Extended' keyboard layout, for
input). Revolution doesn't seem to want to respect my choice of fonts,
and keeps trying to turn my text into Geneva, or tag the font as ".
Japanese" - which causes major hassle...

I have found that copying lines of text from one field to another via
script is almost impossible, requiring major workarounds - I have tried
using both the 'unicodeText' and the 'htmlText' properties.

I have not been very successful in passing strings that contain
Esperanto characters as parameters, either. There must be something
quite basic that I am doing (or not doing), as my Esperanto characters
seem to have this knack for turning into  2 giberish ascii characters.

All in all, it seems that despite its support for unicode, the
'default' for working in Revolution is still ascii text. So, if your
application is going to be using Unicode THROUGHOUT and everywhere, you
have to use Unicode-converting functions everywhere, as it is always
trying to economise space by converting characters to ascii.

I feel that I am missing something basic here - it surely can't be this
hard!

Have the other Esperantists in the list been able to successfully work
with Esperanto text in their scripts? Any hints would be a great help!

Many thanks in advance,
--
Igor de Oliveira Couto
igor at pixelmedia.com.au