Per-card data in shared group

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Jun 24 19:04:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 04:33 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> What's the best way to have a shared group keep up with per-card
>> persistent data?
>
> I'm not sure what your exact goal is, but it is common to update a
> shared group in a preOpenCard handler. For example, if you have a list
> field with card names in it and you want to update the list to hilite
> the current card name, you'd set the hilitedlines of the field in a
> preOpenCard handler.
>
> If this isn't what you have in mind, tell us more about what you need
> to do.

Well, remember my wanting to update visited on all links in a field?
Well, since the text could be different on each card, I wanted to keep
a list of the effective link text and the char locations of the links
so I could update those as the card is entered.

As it turns out, my function to get all those is fast enough for the
group to recalculate links and update links on every open card.  I
don't mind if the updates are not set before the card is displayed.

Now, if I decide to really save this info, I like the idea of both the
custom property and the hidden field.  My groups is on all cards, so I
don't have to worry about leaving custom properties around when groups
are removed.

Thanks, all!

Dar Scott