Scrolling with keys

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Jun 24 00:48:00 EDT 2003

**********
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:15:57 -0700
> Subject: Re: Scrolling with keys
> From: Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com>
>
> Recently, "Ken Norris"  wrote:
>
>> So, how would I scroll an image with a keypress while it's down, then stop
>> on keyup.
snip
> One basic way to manage the scroll is to use the keyDown (or rawKeyDown)
> message to set the scroll of the object:
>
> on rawKeyDown K
snip

I think I understand the rawKeyDown part, but...

Ummm. No, I mean continuous smooth scrolling while holding the key down,
like the mouse would do while holding it down on a scrolling field's arrow
keys. The joystick controller I'm looking into only sends keyboard messages
according to how it's programmed in the hardware itself, but not mouse
messages.

For example, if the stick forward switch is set to "f" then I believe it
will send a continuous stream of "f"'s to the computer as long as it's held
forward.

Actually, in this case, I want it to scroll continuously in either
direction, like its on a belt. I've already written scripts for it in HC
which work, so I have the method together. I'm attempting to make it a
little more generic for editing purposes.

Thanks,
Ken N.