Checking to see if internet stuff is finished

Edwin Gore edgore at shinra.com
Fri Jun 20 17:41:00 EDT 2003

I am very confused when it comes to doing some of the internet related stuff in RunRev and figuring out when things have or have not, finished.

For example, I have an application that uploads a bunch of stuff to an FTP site - that was pretty easy to figure out. I put up a modal dialog, and when a file finishs uploading, I have whichever url command it is that I am using set to send a message, and the handler for that message sends ftps the next file in the queue up. Not elegant, but it works, and let's me make sure that the user isn't doing anything else in my app while it's uploading.

Now, in another section of the same app I grab some XML that includes an image URL, sets an image object's filename to that url, then exports the image to a file. The problem that I am running into is that the script to do all of this runs, and returns control to the user, but it hasn't REALLY finished yet - the user can navigate away from the card that has the image object, and 20 seconds later I get an error message telling me that the image object doesn't exist - since the user is on a different card, without the image object.

Now, I know that in my script that does the fetching and so on, I could have it remember the card number or whatever of the correct card and specifically whack the url into the image object there, but I don't wanna. The user could just as easily quit the application before the image has downloaded, or lots of other things.

What I really want to do is put up a dialog or somethign saying "Please Wait" until the entire process has finished.

Unfortunately I am baffled by the ways that the different kinds of internet related commands work, and by what appear to be differences in the commands between versions. I have looked through the archives and found some ideas, but they seem to be contradictory (based on version?) and it getting frustating.

Anybody have any hints?