making non-active backups of stacks; missing cursor in fields; documentation

jrvalent at wisc.edu jrvalent at wisc.edu
Fri Jun 20 08:25:00 EDT 2003

1. Is there any way to make a backup of a stack without shifting to the
backed up stack as the working stack -- i.e., when you do "save as..." the
stack you save to becomes the main stack -- but i just want to be able to
archive my stacks as i develop them so that if i wreck them, i can at least

2. Also, thank you edwin gore for answering my question about why i couldn't
get a text cursor in my text fields -- and your answer that something might
be overlapping them makes perfect sense, since i have a label field adjacent
to each data field -- and this explains my "fix" too -- when i duplicate the
"non-working" text field, i make its "layer" higher and the offending label
is now behind it. and this relates to another problem i was having -- i am
creating layouts for database fields, and sometimes physically change field
layer ordering in order for the user to be able to tab through the logical
(rather than created) sequence of fields. this was giving me problems, too,
but they are obviously due to the same effect -- because changing the
"level" of a field may then make its label "higher" than it, and hence
affect its apparent cursor behavior.

3. I know the revolution team is overworked as it is, and like so many other
posters, i am very grateful about the amount documentation we get -- the
problem is that rev is so rich in resources that it's easy to invest a day
in such things as my 2. problem above. it would be so useful to have an
additional component of the docs, say "pitfalls," in which various critical
details such as the one above were laid out. this is, to be sure, true of
the existing docs -- the docs present a funny problem reminiscent of the
open source vs closed debate -- and i guess we have to consider the userev
and improverev lists as our open source documentation. But if so, the runrev
team should articulate clearly, clearly in the documentation edwin's trick
about googling the archives for searching, and maybe also create a simple
taxonomy of some sort that could be incorporated into the more valuable
(useful) posts to aid searching.

rand