Columnar Reports in HC - yes but I did it manually (mea culpa)

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Sat Jun 14 21:31:00 EDT 2003

Richard,

I think (now know) you are correct. Perhaps the years had provided me
with a "senior moment"... I just took a few moments to bring up the old
HC stack set I had been referring to and found that I had linked my
stacks hierarchically (manually, of course) so that one card's fields
(a series of columns with "header" info above) in the "parent" stack
was populated (via HyperTalk) from the matching -set- of cards in the
"child" stack. I had been doing my own "many-to-one" lookups and
filling in the fields' contents. Once that was done, HC's Report
Generator was called with a saved report format. It was, indeed, a
columnar report but I made it columnar through manual means. I was
doing Business Basic DB work at that time and was used to manual
lookups. While what I was doing was slow in HC under 7.6.1 on an '030,
it absolutely screams under 9.2.2 on an 867/G4.

So I grovel at the feet of the RunRev mavens but still long for a real
tabular report methodology in Rev. If anyone else has suggestions for
me, I will gratefully accept them.

Isn't there a sample stack set somewhere that shows how the report
object is to be used? How about printing a card with parallel columns
of multi-line fields whose data extends beyond what can be seen with a
scroll of 0? I think Jeanne had some comments on this but, again, is
there an example stack somewhere that I can dissect?

Thanks,
Barry