Report Object - but where's the columnar report

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Sat Jun 14 19:11:00 EDT 2003

At 8:42 AM -0700 6/14/03, Barry Levine wrote:
>Thanks for the pointer. But I am a bit confused. What does the Report
>Object give me except a means to print all of the cards of a stack
>(given certain parameters) in a slightly more automated manner than one
>might do with Transcript itself?

The report viewer object is a layout object; the idea is that you create a
card specifically for your report layout, and include only those fields you
want in the report (along with graphics, images, or whatever other elements
might be appropriate).

>Where is the tabular (columnar) report? Am I still forced to generate
>tab-delimited data and open it in Excel?

Try this for a columnar report:

1) Create a report card that has the same height as a single row.

2) Create a report object for each field you want to include, and arrange
them across the report card, forming a row of report objects.

3) In the Report Builder, use the "Print Multiple Cards Onto Each Page" option.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought
http://www.runrev.com/