standalone has plainly readable transcript

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 13 22:37:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, June 13, 2003, at 05:26  PM,
revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com wrote:

> If you are in the process of implementing AES encryption in Rev why
> don't you contact them off-list to see what the official plans are for
> stronger encryption?  If they are not going to be implementing
> stronger encryption in the near future, they may be interested in
> working with you to incorporate your plans into Rev.
>
> Regards,
> Bernard

Hi Bernard,

In regards to my own expertise, one would have to consider what I might
have learnt after just two days of looking into the world of
Cryptography. What I know so far is that I can get what I need from
Blowfish; if what I understand is the way Blowfish encrypts data, then
I will be able to have stronger than AES 128 bit encryption.

----------------
"Blowfish is a symmetric block cipher that can be used as a drop-in
replacement for DES or IDEA. It takes a variable-length key, from 32
bits to 448 bits, making it ideal for both domestic and exportable use.
Blowfish was designed in 1993 by Bruce Schneier as a fast, free
alternative to existing encryption algorithms. Since then it has been
analyzed considerably, and it is slowly gaining acceptance as a strong
encryption algorithm. Blowfish is unpatented and license-free, and is
available free for all uses."
----------------

The Valentina database uses the blowfish method of encryption but I'm
not sure of any restrictions on the key length that might have been
implemented by the Valentina Kernel; I'm looking into this as well. I
don't have a pro-license for RunRev so I can't test the Valentina
solution. I can't even test the Blowfish algorithm in RR. I'm using the
free RR version until I can afford the small-business and then pro
versions of RunRev. I'm on disability. My resources are so limited that
it takes a long time to save up for  things like this. That is one of
the reasons that I'm checking the documentation first to see if this is
the way to proceed. If I ever get a version that allows me to test
longer than 10 line scripts then I will make the Blowfish stack for RR
that encrypts, saves files as encrypted binaries, and decrypts them.
That would make a nice contribution to the contributers page at the
mother-ship website. I don't see a problem with giving it away. After
all it is already available in several different programming languages
for free; thanks to Bruce Schneier and others that worked on it.

Mark