standalone has plainly readable transcript

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Jun 13 09:52:01 EDT 2003

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 06:30 PM,
revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com wrote:

> I think it is very far-sighted of him to see that the needless railing
> against the Rev docs can affect other users' perceptions of the
> quality of the docs and the quality of Rev.

I did not see Victor's mail as "needless railing".

He made a simple point that when a user of a manual says he did not
make the connection, the manual is failing.  I think this is a valid
point.  I would have put it weaker; the manual writer can take it as a
data point in considering ways to improve the manual.  For example, I
imagine Jeanne pays attention to each indication that a user did not
understand the manual correctly.  (It would be quite appropriate to
give up on my misunderstandings, though.)  Was this off topic and
needless?  Perhaps, but it was small and made a reminder that we all
can benefit from.  Was it harmful?  In isolation it might discourage
some from using the documentation.  However, I viewed it in the context
of positive mail concerning the documentation.

I think his comment about style was overstated, but it did encourage
writers to avoid hiding behind "It is in the manual."  I think the
situation simply triggered a pet-peeve.  Even though the style
situation did not match, the soap box was calling.  I think we can be
tolerant of that and recognize it for what it is.  Doing that, we can
learn from it and chock it up as part of what is important to Victor.

Victor's mail was short and it was, I think, in isolation.  It was not
"needless railing".

Let's give him some slack.

Dar Scott