interesting thread "The Little Coder's Predicament"

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Wed Jun 11 14:41:00 EDT 2003

http://www.advogato.org/article/671.html

the gist of it is

"""
In the 1980s, you could look up from your Commodore 64, hours after
purchasing it, with a glossy feeling of empowerment, achieved by the
pattern of notes spewing from the speaker grille in an endless loop.
You were part of the movement to help machines sing! You were a
programmer! The Atari 800 people had BASIC. They know what I'm talking
about. And the TI-994A guys don't need to say a word, because the TI
could say it for them!

Yes, there are burgeoning free SDKs for many of these platforms. But
they are obscure and most children have no means of actually deploying
or executing the code on their own hardware! This is obvious to us all
and likely doesn't seem such a big deal. But ask yourself what might
have happened had you not had access to a programming language on an
Atari 800 or a Commodore. You tell me if this is a predicament.

It turns out, most of the kids in my neighborhood are exposed to coding
through the TI calculator. A handful of languages are available on the
TI and its processor is interesting enough to evoke some curiousity.
But this hasn't spread to its PDA big brothers, where young people
could have more exposure to programming. And undoubtedly the utility of
a language on the Palm, Pocket PC and others would be useful to many.

I should mention that Windows is equipped with its own scripting host
for developing in JScript and VBScript. But the use of the scripting
host is (I believe) under-documented and limited for beginners. Try
doing something useful in a script without using Server.CreateObject.
Let's not let kids touch the COM objects, please!
"""

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com